Trying to stop grandparent visitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

loeweherz

My daughter's father and I have never been married. He is currently involved with the court for aggravated child abuse and an open count of murder due to the death of his son (who was not my child).

DCF is in the process of terminating his parental rights and he is currently allowed no contact with my daughter, and I hope to keep it that way. My daughter would visit weekly with her father before the incident, since she was about 1, and since the father lived with his parents it would occur in their home. My daughter is now 2.

I recently discovered that the grandparents are interested in suing for visitation, I have not denied them visitation at all during this time I have just requested it occur at my home. It has been about 3 months since my daughter has seen her grandparents and she has not once expressed any sign of wanting to see them or missing them, her behavior hasn't changed for the worse or anything. Since the communication had stopped my daughter actually improved immensely, she began following a sleeping schedule, she started sleeping in her crib with no protest, she gave up a bottle, she hasn't had a single diaper rash, runny nose, ear infection or cough. She has greatly improved. I know that the grandmother has been charged with a physical altercation before and throughout my relationship with my daughter's father he would constantly complain of how his father would hit him and choke him (although I'm sure if I brought that up in court he would deny it)

Bottom line is, I don't trust the grandparents to be unsupervised with my daughter. I don't want to have to worry about them never returning her (the grandmother has expressed a quite unnatural bond with my daughter, like she wants to play the role of the mother and not grandma) and I do think abduction is possible. I don't want my daughter sexually or physically abused.

How can I prevent unsupervised grandparent visitation?

(sorry for the length, I was just hoping to be a thorough as possible)

Grandparents do not have any inherent rights to visitation, and it isn't common that visitation is awarded.

However, if they do file a petition, you should absolutely hire an attorney to represent you, even if you have to borrow the money.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back