Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Wrongly accused of shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenhrobinson

So today my friend and I went into our neighborhood liquor store where we always go, to get some beer and cigarettes like we always do. We know the owners of the store and they're always very nice to us, like if we were a dollar short they'd cover it for us. Today however there was a man working there neither one of us had seen before. We were looking around, unsure of what we wanted to get when this man said to us "I don't have time to be babysitting you guys, so why don't you come up to the front and empty out your pockets." At first I thought he was joking but then he again accused us of stealing. At this point my friend and I just wanted to leave the store and take our business elsewhere but when we tried to leave, he locked the door on us and demanded that we empty our pockets. We were both shocked but we cooperated and when he saw that we hadn't taken anything he didn't admit to falsely accusing us and instead said F**k you don't come back in here. I plan to talk to the owner tomorrow but is there anything that can legally be done about this?

What do you want to do?

You can always call the police and see if you can pin some sort of false imprisonment charge on the clerk, but I would not hold your breath that it will get filed by the DA.

I think you are making the right call by going in to talk to the owner. Or, simply refuse to do business there again. Your call.

- Carl

I agree with Carl contact the owner outside of that you got nothing. A store is allowed to detain persons for the reason of looking for stolen or concealed merchandise. Yes he was a jerk and could have dealt with that much better but he did not. We also do not know what he saw or thought he saw. You might also visit the link in my signature line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back