My landlord wont fix problems, can i move out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaosbarbie

I moved into a home 7 months ago and when we moved in there was a problem with the exhaust fan in the bathroom and it was causing really bad mold problems. We told our landlord about the situation from the get go and he keeps comming up with excuses of why he cant fix the problem. I have to clean the mold once a week and it still over takes the walls. Im sick of cleaning up after a problem that he should have fixed along time ago. We have also had problems with the sub-pump in the basement and it has fludded and damaged some of our property. It is not installed properly and it runs into our neighbors yard and they keep comming to us to fix the problem and i dont know what to do! Do i have the right to break my lease on those grounds? I feel i have givin him more than enough time to fix the problem and i dont want to keep living in these condiction! Please help

Its not that easy. You need to follow your state's guidelines for resovling such issues. If just up and leave you can find yourself sued and losing much money. You can call your local housing department ask what procedure is for this, google the info yourseld or, post your state here and see if Gail or someone knows

It's also important to keep in mind that the "mold card" has been overplayed by many tenants as an excuse to leave a rental without a financial penalty.

Most mold is actual mildew and quite commonly occurs in moist areas (such as bathrooms). This is especially true if you live in a high humid climate, take long, hot showers with the bathroom door closed, etc. Most mildew/mold is quite harmless.

This doesn't mean you get to move out when you see this or become concerned over your health. It does mean you do what you've been doing; clean your bathroom weekly. Bleach mixed with water is very effective.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back