Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting Arrest, 1st time offender in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

krrwilliams

Hi, I was arrested today for shoplifting at a retail store. I'm a 18 year-old girl with a clean record. I stole 3 items from the store I was at and had 4 items from another store. The store is fining me, and the police wrote a report and told me it would go to a judge and I would get a letter with my punishment in the mail. I just had a few questions.

1) Will I have to go to court for this at any point?
2) Will I have a criminal record?
3) What are the possible things that may happen from this situation, in terms of what the judge will say?
4) If I have to do community service does that count as a criminal record?

I realize I may not be asking the right questions but I'm just really confused, and I made a mistake and need to understand the repercussions of it better. Thanks for any help you can give!

You will likely have to go to court. I don't know what this "punishment in the mail" business is. You can't be punished unless you are convicted of a crime.

You will have a criminal record if you are convicted. You might avoid a criminal record by being found not guilty, by being found guilty but obtaining a conditional discharge, or by avoiding trial and going through various types of diversion.

You might be given community service as part of a sentence if you are found guilty, or as part of the conditions of diversion or a conditional discharge. As above, only if it is part of a sentence for a criminal conviction will you have a record.

Its hard to say as most of us here are in states. It may be hard to find somone familar with CA law. In the states a 1st offense shoplift rqarely carries jail sentence. However theft from several stores could make charge a felony! Once more I am not familar with CA law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back