Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Police Handing Over Phone Records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_its_me

My jurisdiction is: Massachusetts, US

I found out, informally meaning not via a subpoena or law enforcement, a few days ago that I am being accused of prank calling someone (whom I don't even know, and who lives out of state in NY) multiple times over the past few months. This person is claiming that the police gave them a copy of my cell phone records after they had traced the calls back to me.

Is this even legal? I understand that the authorities, with a subpoena for probable cause or a search warrant, can get a copy of my records, but could the police then hand copies over to the third-party accuser to examine or even quickly look at? This individual is claiming he has copies on his computer, leading me to believe that they were e-mailed to him? He made a comment in regards to an incoming call I had received, which makes me believe that he is telling the truth, though I suppose he could have somehow illegally obtained them.

Wouldn't the police investigate these harassing calls, and then pass the evidence to the DA to prosecute, if necessary, leaving the accuser to wait out the process? If this person is telling the truth, and does have copies of my phone records provided by the police, isn't this an invasion of my privacy, seeing as how these records show each and every outgoing and incoming call?

I'm not guilty, I haven't done anything wrong so I'm not worried at the idle threats that, "the police said they are processing the info and you should get a letter in the mail." I am, however, worried that this person may have gotten their hands on my private cell phone records and that truly disturbs me. If I do wind up getting some sort of letter (which just doesn't seem to be the typical legal process that I know of) then I will most definitely retain a lawyer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you

You do not indicate that you've had any direct contact from police. You are evasive of how you learned of this situation, though you mention several times that the individual has "claimed" this or that.

Have you actually been in contact with this individual possibly by email or Internet correspondence?

This sounds like a scam.

He made a comment in regards to an incoming call I had received
Possibly a coincidence, or the person obtained info by another source.

Don't know what the racket may be, yet it still smells like a scam. I'd suggest no further correspondence with this individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back