PLEASE HELP....mother died 10 years ago and no handled her estate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsDowFire

My mother died in October 1998 and her husband (step father) never handled anything in regard to her estate. I was told that she left everything to her husband and her husband did not want to do anything with her personal possessions yet. I didn't know she even had an estate until 2/28/09 when my uncle (mom's brother) sent me an email stating that I was a beneficiary on an IRA and that I needed to send some paperwork in. He also informed me that my step father had a stroke in November 2008 and he had my stepfathers durable power of attorney. My stepfather is in a rehabilitation facility at present. I received a Notice of Intent to Request Informal Appointment of Personal Representative for the Estate of my mother. I am concerned that my uncle never contacted me to handle her things rather just filed a petition. I am a beneficiary to my step fathers will and I am uneasy about him handling things and his motives. I have direct interest in both estates. Do I have any options?

Sure. Apply to be the personal representative of your mother's estate yourself. You're a closer relation, you'll probably be successful. Or let your uncle do it, but keep close tabs on the accounts.

You have fewer options as far as interfering with or monitoring his management of your stepfather's affairs. Unless you suspect he IS mismanaging, he's probably entitled to do as he sees fit so long as he's acting in your stepfather's best interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back