Ohio Abandoned Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

nohiogal

My BF of three years was arrested on an old warrant and went to jail for 10 days.

While he was away I got with the landlord and we created a new lease. The old lease was expired anyway and we we had been renting month to month for almost two years and it was the end of the month. The new lease was signed October 1, 2008. Only my daughters and my name is on the lease.

He left a good amount of stuff here. He came by several times to get clothes and tools but the rest is still sitting on the sun porch. When all this first went down I told him he could keep it here for a while until he got settled but it has now been almost six months.

Is there any legal way I can get him to get his stuff? Most of it is old stuff and basically worthless junk that I just want to place on the tree lawn.

I have the address he is staying at. Can I legally draw up an abandoned property statement giving him 30 days to move it? I can have it notorized and sent return reciept. Will that be enough to cover me if he should complain later?

I also have his email I could send a statement to as well.

Do I actually have to get the landlord involved since I only rent?

Thanks for any advice you can give. I just want his stuff out.

No I have not.

He was living with a friend for several months which is when he was coming over now and then to get a couple things. Again, only some tools and clothes. He is not there anymore as he just skipped out one day because he could not come up with the rent. He left stuff there as well. His cell phone was shut off so for awhile there was no way to reach him but I do have a number and adddres for him now.

The friend he was living with called the number and left a message. My ex called him back and told him not to use that number and to only contact him through his cousins cell phone number.

He does not hold a job. Claims his $50 handy man job is a personal business. He skips out on customers leaving jobs half done for weeks. He is also a compulsive liar. I can only imagine the new lies he is weaving to his cousin that he is staying with.

But all the is really here nor there. I just want a legal way to send him a notice to remove the items in a 30 day time frame or they are going on the curb.

Do you suggest I call the cousins cell or the other number he has said not to contact him at? There is no way to directly call him. Again, I can send him an email but of course he can say he never got it but I have the password, as I set up his account, and can confirm that he did get it.

I'd send a registered letter to the address he is staying at (so you have documentation that you notified him) telling him if he doesn't pick up the rest of his things by a certain date, they'll be discarded.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back