Child Support/ Parental Rights Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardsfan26

Before I ask my question and people judge me, I want to make it clear that I did not provide the sperm to create the child that I have to pay support for, She was six months old when me and her mother met.

My current wife thinks that I can give up or sign away my rights to this child and not have to pay child support anymore. I am 99% sure that this can't be done, but please read my story before you answer because my situation may be a little different.

My dates may be a little off, but they are pretty close. I married this child's mother in 1996, "Legally Adopted" this child in 1997, and then got divorced in 1998. Now, in my perception there is no doubt her intent was to use me and my good paying job to acquire support for this child. I started out taking care of my responsibility without the courts or family services being involved. Everything on my side was handled correctly, I even allowed her to stay in my house( "In lieu of support, payments were equal") because I no longer lived there. Then, because she wouldn't "keep up" the house, she decided to move on and because she is such a "flighty" person, I had no idea where she went or where to send the money. By this time, I was done seeing this child because her mother convinced her into believing that I wasn't her father and her behavior was very disruptive in my new household, so I figured it was better for the child to be in a consistent environment(even with a rotten mother) than to keep subjecting her to two different sets of rules.

Some time went by and guess what I received in the mail, a notice from the Dept. of Family & Children Services. Come to find out, she tried to go to the local office in Georgia while she was still there and she was so wrong that they wouldn't hear her case, so she moved to her father's place in Kentucky and filed for the support there. Great, now I have to go through the court systems and even better, she tried to claim that I hadn't paid her since day one. Good thing I kept all the records!!!

Now for a little more bashing before I sum things up. Our divorce decree clearly states that I get to claim the child on my tax return EVERY YEAR and EVERY YEAR she runs as early as she can down to whatever tax filing company she uses, gets her taxes done and claims the child. EVERY YEAR, my taxes get rejected because "someone else has already claimed one of your dependents". I have repeatedly proved to the IRS that I have the right and I even filed a fraud report on her and they do nothing??

In late 2006, early 2007, I applied(Ton of paperwork & $100.00 non-refundable fee) for a modification with the Dept. in Georgia after I lost my job. They rejected it saying "losing your job doesn't matter, you still have to pay the same amount."

To sum things up, I haven't seen the child since 2000, I have to see the "Friends of the Court", every six months here in Indiana and my question is, "Is there anything I can do here?" Is my wife right? The mother doesn't deserve the money and the child doesn't deserve that mother.

Thanks

PS. The law SHOULD only allow couples who can't have their own children to "Legally" adopt a child from young women who made mistakes and who want to voluntarily give up that child. The law SHOULD make all these guys who donate their sperm into anything that moves responsible for the children they bring into this world and we wouldn't have this damn problem.

stepmom needs to keep her mouth shut

Before I ask my question and people judge me, I want to make it clear that I did not provide the sperm to create the child that I have to pay support for, She was six months old when me and her mother met.

My current wife thinks that I can give up or sign away my rights to this child and not have to pay child support anymore. I am 99% sure that this can't be done, but please read my story before you answer because my situation may be a little different.

My dates may be a little off, but they are pretty close. I married this child's mother in 1996, "Legally Adopted" this child in 1997, and then got divorced in 1998. Now, in my perception there is no doubt her intent was to use me and my good paying job to acquire support for this child. I started out taking care of my responsibility without the courts or family services being involved. Everything on my side was handled correctly, I even allowed her to stay in my house( "In lieu of support, payments were equal") because I no longer lived there. Then, because she wouldn't "keep up" the house, she decided to move on and because she is such a "flighty" person, I had no idea where she went or where to send the money. By this time, I was done seeing this child because her mother convinced her into believing that I wasn't her father and her behavior was very disruptive in my new household, so I figured it was better for the child to be in a consistent environment(even with a rotten mother) than to keep subjecting her to two different sets of rules.

Some time went by and guess what I received in the mail, a notice from the Dept. of Family & Children Services. Come to find out, she tried to go to the local office in Georgia while she was still there and she was so wrong that they wouldn't hear her case, so she moved to her father's place in Kentucky and filed for the support there. Great, now I have to go through the court systems and even better, she tried to claim that I hadn't paid her since day one. Good thing I kept all the records!!!

Now for a little more bashing before I sum things up. Our divorce decree clearly states that I get to claim the child on my tax return EVERY YEAR and EVERY YEAR she runs as early as she can down to whatever tax filing company she uses, gets her taxes done and claims the child. EVERY YEAR, my taxes get rejected because "someone else has already claimed one of your dependents". I have repeatedly proved to the IRS that I have the right and I even filed a fraud report on her and they do nothing??

In late 2006, early 2007, I applied(Ton of paperwork & $100.00 non-refundable fee) for a modification with the Dept. in Georgia after I lost my job. They rejected it saying "losing your job doesn't matter, you still have to pay the same amount."

To sum things up, I haven't seen the child since 2000, I have to see the "Friends of the Court", every six months here in Indiana and my question is, "Is there anything I can do here?" Is my wife right? The mother doesn't deserve the money and the child doesn't deserve that mother.

Thanks

PS. The law SHOULD only allow couples who can't have their own children to "Legally" adopt a child from young women who made mistakes and who want to voluntarily give up that child. The law SHOULD make all these guys who donate their sperm into anything that moves responsible for the children they bring into this world and we wouldn't have this damn problem.

your wife needs to mind her own business regarding a child not hers. and keep her opinions about mom to herself. as should you. you picked her to have your child.

It's pretty simple Kelly.

STOP ANSWERING YEAR OLD THREADS.

In fact, please stop answering. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back