15 year old pregnant, what options for child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

llawrence3737

My 15 year old daughter is 8 months pregnant her boyfriend of 1 1/2 years, is only 14 years old. What responsibility financially is he or his parents liable for. They are willing to help out but how or how much?

It largely depends on the child support guidelines of your state. His parents may or may not have any responsibility but your daughter also has the responsibility of supporting the child. She needs to figure out how she will support this baby with little or no money coming in. Dad's income is limited and he legally cannot even hold a job so it is going to be very hard for Dad to be expected to pay child support. Have you talked to his parents to see what they are willing to do? If they are willing to help out you may have to leave it at that. This is what happens when kids this age have babies. Your daughter has alot on her plate to take care of this child and finish school.

What state are you in?

Last edited:
In addition to the varying state laws on support, depending on the laws in your state one or both children could also be prosecuted for having underage sexual relations as well. This is a tragedy all around, and one has to ask, where were all the parents in this? HOW did this happen?!

- Carl

Teens having sex is likely not against the law. There would usually have to be much greater than 1 year apart. My opinon is meaningless but kids this age have no business having sex or having babies. They both are going to learn really quick the consequences of their actions.

Teens having sex is likely not against the law.
That depends upon the state. If it were California, it would be a crime (261.5 PC). It might not be too likely for the DA to prosecute but it would be a crime.

My opinon is meaningless but kids this age have no business having sex or having babies. They both are going to learn really quick the consequences of their actions.
I agree. However, as is far too common around here, the teens that have babies are shielded from the impact of their "adult" decision by parents that take care of the child and allow the mother/father child to continue to galavant around. This makes the act attractive to others. We had a popular teen here get pregnant and give birth last year. Well, her peers, and her then 13 year old sister, all think its great and have been talking about it themselves. We're bracing for a slew of new pregnancies in a couple of years because of the "cute" factor.

- Carl

I agree with you. There is no reason for a teenager to get pregnant. Everyone knows how babies are made. I am married into a huge hispanic family and the teen pregnancy rate with hispanics is high. My 18 yr old unmarried step-daughter just had a baby, boyfriend dumped her as soon as he found out. My husbands 16 yr old nephew is expecting a baby with his 16 yr old GF, and this boys sister who is 19, unarried and living at home still, is pregnant. It is sad. i am so disgusted that some teens think its cool to have a baby. I think some of these teens actually want babies and teen pregnancy is being glamorized by Hollywood after Juno, Jamie Lynn Spears, and the actress from "Whale Rider". These teens then just pawn the babies off on mom and dad. A 15 yr old would be much better off giving the child up for adoption.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back