Is she entitled to my work comp settlement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisc1986

I recently received a settlement for a back injury. We were(are) married at the time of the injury but will soon be divorced. What is the law concerning her portion,(if any) of the settlement. Is there a way in which she cannot receive any--such as if I put all of the money into my children's education fund......etc....?

I recently received a settlement for a back injury. We were(are) married at the time of the injury but will soon be divorced. What is the law concerning her portion,(if any) of the settlement. Is there a way in which she cannot receive any--such as if I put all of the money into my children's education fund......etc....?

I think there are too many variables for anyone to give you an accurate answer. State laws may differ, but there are other factors as well. For example, whether or not the settlement is based on wages lost during the marriage, or based on the injury's impact on future potential earnings. You really should consult an attorney about it.

Also, if it is ultimately considered marital property, giving it away will not protect it, no matter who you give it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back