Personal Bankruptcy Am I "priority" or "unsecured" in my Chapter 11 Proof of Claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moecalifornia

Last year I worked as a freelance designer for a company that filed chapter 11. I filed a proof of claim with the bankruptcy court citing a "priority" claim as they still owe me around $2,000.00 in unpaid wages. I recently received a "Notice of Debtors' Fifth Omnibus Objection to Claims (Substantive) and Motion to Reduce and/or Reclassify Such Claims" packet in the mail telling me my claim has been reclassified from "priority" to "unsecured." They aren't objecting the amount owed, just the classification. Do I need to object to this change (as it states I must do in writing by a certain date in order to have the objection seen by the court), or will my claim still be considered with out it?
Additionally, I submitted as proof of my employment my initial contract and all signed unpaid invoices. All wages were earned within 180 days of the company filing for bankruptcy as stated on the proof of claim form under #5 Amount of Claim Entitled to Priority under 11 U.S.C. 507(a). I checked the box as stated.
I am concerned that changing my status from "priority" to "unsecured" with lessen the chances I ever get paid the money they still owe me.
Their reason listed for modification is "Claimant improperly filed in the incorrect class." However, I believe wages fall into the "priority" category.
Should I object to the change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back