"Friend" ducking me over sale of car...verbal contract matters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwassman

I recently moved overseas and before I left a friend expressed interest in buying my car rather than me shipping it. I just put $1500 in to replace the engine and the truck ran perfectly when he first expressed interest. Though reluctant I decided to offer him the truck for $5000 and he agreed. I am no expert but I thought this constituted a verbal contract since we both agreed on the price, shook on it, and was witnessed by my gf and another friend. Anyway he only had $3000 at the time and agreed to pay me later. I was out of the country for the next month and told him he could pay me when I got back. Upon returning he said he would deposit the money in my account and did actually deposit $1000 making it the total $4000. After this he ignored several of my phone calls regarding the final $1000 he owed me. Two weeks later I got a message saying a few weeks after the check engine light came on and he had to supposedly spend a $1000 to fix it and now refuses to pay me because of it. I called several more times to no avail and (left a message) mentioned I would pay for half of the repair costs if he could produce the receipt for repair. Is there any legal ways to obtain my money?

Civil Suit. Your word against his. The judge will decide based upon whatever evidence that may be provided.

Your best bet is to take the loss and hope the "Friend" pays the balance due you. The "legal way" would be time consuming and would require additional costs that probably would not be worth the effort. If he pays you the $3,000, take it and run. Lesson learned - never rely upon a verbal agreement, especially with friends and/or relatives.

You'll have to file in small claims but except for your GF who witness the agreed upon price, you have little proof. Small claims though is cheap and informal so file, but if you are overseas it is going to make it hard for you to appear since you file where this man lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back