Applying for a Quiet Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiamscott

Our land is a flag lot with a 100 foot strip of land running from our acreage to the county road 1/4 mile away. Our next door neighbors started doing improvements on the land about ten years ago when they bought their place. (We just bought our place last year.) They added driveways (3) even though they were entitled on the title to only one. They did a lot of landscaping, and then they claimed to own the land even though a lease had been in place although is no longer valid since we are the new owners.

We asked them to either provide proof of owernship or get off the land. They have not provided proof of ownership, and they are threatening to sue us. There is also an adverse possession claim on our part. (The previous owner of our property built a fence three feet on to their land 28 years ago. All of the lots on our street are off by three feet since the survey was done by measuring tape.)

Would applying for a quiet title put this to rest, or would we face potential litigation? Can we apply for adverse possession on a quiet title?

Adverse possession - if they are claiming they now own the land I'd be surprised although on your part I can see it if there is 28 years of occupancy of the land. I don't understand the problem. Who owns the 100 foot strip of land? Why are your neighbors doing improvements on your land? Is it shared? Is there an easement? What is the lease?

Get a real estate attorney to advise you on this. You probably want to do this immediately and then some written, certified letter will be generated to hopefully put an end to the dispute and place your neighbors on notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back