Not getting hired after being promised a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobless_in_AK

I am a previous employer in the oilfields of Alaska doing seasonal subcontractor work on the Tank Cleaning Crew. My brother and I were encouraged to turn in our resumes with the contractor we were subcontracted out to. My brother and I thought it would be a good idea to do so because the company provided year around employment which would help with the cost of building our home. In November 2007 we turned in our resume to the supervisors office. After turning in our resume we were told by the foreman we were next in line to be hired when openings became available. In April 2008 my company called to inform me work was starting up again for the summer I accepted the position because my savings were getting low and I could no longer wait to be hired with the better company. On the other hand my brother declined the offer and chose to wait on the other company. A week later the foreman called to inform my brother and I we have one position available. I told the foreman I have already accepted employment with my previous employer and told him I am still interested in working for the company when the next position is available. He said ok you are next on the list. In July 2008 my brother was finally hired with the company. While working on the crew I was being told all summer long by atleast three leadmen I was going to get hired. Towards the end of the summer I found out someone had already been hired. I approached the supervisor and asked him if I was still on the list to be hired. He told me there is no list and that the foreman should not have told me I was next on the list but we still have your resume and still are considering. He also told me there could be a problem with hiring me because I was already employed. He explained to me there is an agreement between the two companies to not hire employees while still employed. Before I started work last summer I heard something different from his alternate who said it would be easier to hire you while employed with your company because we can make the transfer here rather than the Anchorage office. I was hearing different stories from each supervisor but was still confident I was going to be hired eventually. In September 2008 I was laid off from my employer. A week later my company called to inform me plans had changed and they had work available until November or December. Still feeling very confident after being told all summer long by the foreman and leadmen I was going to get hired and remembering the agreement the supervisor told me about I declined the job offer in hopes of being hired by the better company. As the Fall went on my hopes of being hired with the company started to fade especially after hearing from my brother they had hired another person. In December 2008 while I was in Texas a leadman had called me and asked if I had checked my answer machine I said no. He informed me that they were going to hire 30 people at the beginning of the year. So I started to feel confident and very happy about getting hired only to find out from my brother the crew is already hired and I was not chosen. As a person that was very confident and happy about going to work for a company I wanted to be a part of I felt very let down. This current situation has opened up new stresses and worries about my future employment on the North Slope for which I depended on to accomplish my dream of building my home for which I planned to get " weathered in" this summer. I feel like my refusal to accept employment with my previous employer could have jeopardized any future employment with them. I also feel like the actions from the contract company has created a very uncomfortable situation for me to work in because I will be working alongside the people that got hired in the position I was promised. I will also find it very difficult to face the management of the company that let me down. In writing this letter I am wanting to know is there any legal actions I can take? If not is there anyone I can contact or complain to about how this company has unfairly treated me and created all this stress and concern about my future.

Nothing in your post indicates illegal behavior by the employer. The stress you have caused yourself is common especially now with the current economy and many people unemployed. Many people are happy to have a job, any job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back