Sold Car on Craigslist, Threatened by buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwardthgreat6

I sold my car on craigslist, under the ad i listed that it was my project car and needed work. i listed the power steering pump was not working and it needed a headliner. I wrote that that car was running and the engine seemed strong.

I met with the buyer and he asked me to turn on the turn signals, start the car, pop the hood, leave the car to idle for some minutes, demonstrate the alarm and power door locks worked, he inspected the engine bay and the bottom of the vehicle, he then asked me to drive the car on the street for about 10 minutes, and asked for me to drive the car on the freeway.

He liked the car and asked if I knew of any additional repairs the car needed, i told him that the mechanic said that the bushings on the car would need to be replaced, and that i really did not know much about it as it is a muscle car and i previously owned an import so i was not so familiar with the car, but i was taking it to work and back about 20 miles everyday and it did not give me any problems.

He paid me in cash and kept on asking for less money off because he was a student. I lowered the price and gave him some extra parts i had lying around to help him with the restoration. I was emailed 3 days later, and he claimed that the motor mounts and tranny mounts needed to be replaced and that the clutch was inoperable due to this. He is now asking me to pay him the fee for the tow truck and the repairs.

I was not aware of these issues, when i took the car for alignment and service, none of this was mentioned to me. Now the buyer is threatening me to either reimburse him for what he spent or he is going to sue me in small claims court. How should I approach this situation?

By the way after the pink slip was signed he told me he was attending law school locally.

He bought the car used and bought it as is. You owe him nothing. He knew work was needed on the car. Ignore his requests and let him sue you in small claims if he thinks he is entitled to the money. He has a very poor case. If he was concerned about the car he should have had a mechanic inspect it. Keep all correspondence including the copy of the ad and bring it to court with you if you are summoned.

The fact he is a law student does not mean a whole lot. He is still bound by the "buyer beware" action. He still bought the used car as is. There is VERY little protection for car buyers when they buy a used car through a private party.

Last edited:
I sold a car and this happened to me . You are private party and he is an adult . Buyer beware , He should have brought someone with if he wanted the car checked out. You owe him noting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back