having to pay back support for custodial parent that disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluelessdad65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the non custodial parent living in florida and my Child is in Washington State were the court order for child support from 2000. I was paying child support and then my ex moved with my daughter leaving no forwarding addresse. I received a letter from the state saying that they were cancelling the enforcement due to the fact that they could not send her the support checks, ande i had no idea were she was. Four Years later My paychecks start to get garnished again. I contacted DCS for washington state and they said that My ex was receiving state assistance and they were enforcing child support again. and they tacked on Over $13000 in back support they say I have to pay from those four years my wife disappeared. Monthly I pay $440, $368 goes to current support the remainder to back support. I know In washington that even though DCS may stop enforcing support The non-custodial parent still is responsible for it. But what about when the Custodial Parent vanishes. Should I be responsible for her hauling Ass and putting me in finiacial debt now. What can I do. Clueless dad65

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I would petition family court for a emergency hearing. Seems to me if you have that original document from the state, announcing "they were were cancelling the enforcement due to the fact that they could not send her the support checks". was an admission by the state that your obligation was in effect void by no fault of your own. I would also try hold the state liable for not advising you on any recourse or action that needed to be done on your part.

BUT, now that you are in arrears in the eyes of the state, YOU ARE IN RISK OF SEVERE COLLECTION TACTICS THAT CAN RUIN YOU WITHOUT NOTICE!!

DO NOT..file a tax return just yet, as that can launch an immediate seizure of your bank account, 401K, etc...

You need to get in front of a judge fast...

Here is a link for more info for dads in arrears.

google " Alliance for Non-Custodial Parents Rights "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back