is a written agreement legally binding in this case

Status
Not open for further replies.

amaralorelei

My ex ( partner at the time ) and I had a son together and he walked out on my son and I when he was only 7 mos old. Until now we have had a verbal agreement that my son lives with me and that I am the primary care giver and that if he wants to see his son then he can come over, after he okays it with myself, and see his son.

I have been thinking about going through the courts to gain the papers for full custody because he does nothing for his son and hardly comes to see him I would rather have the legal document in case one day he just decides to up and take my son. I was wondering if computer typed agreement signed by both of us would be legally binding in the mean time wherein it would state that he agrees to give me full custody of our son and that visitations would remain as they are now where he calls before he comes over and arrages them with me. Would this help me at all in court and speed up the process or is it even worth typing out?

Q: Would this help me at all in court and speed up the process or is it even worth typing out?

A: Possibly; it depends on what it says. Have YOUR lawyer draw it up.

You can type it up if you want but it is not legally binding unless you file for custody through the courts. You really need a court order to define custody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back