Unemployment Benefits Eligibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewe

My jurisdiction is: California

On January 13 2009, my employer gave me notice that my services were no longer necessary. As a result of California state budget cuts, many of the organization's clients have had to reduce costs and scale back projects. My employer indicated to me that this decision was not a reflection of my skills or services, but of the current difficult economic climate. After 2 years and 9 months of employment with this organization- management decided February 13 2009 as my last day of employment.

During the meeting with management held January 13 2009, my employer gave me one of three options:
  1. The organization discharges me immediately.
  2. I immediately resign, and a severance package would be offer.
  3. I continue working for an additional 30 days, and voluntarily resign on February 13 2009.

My employer gave a couple of days to make a decision. I verbally agreed to take the 30 days and resign February 13 2008.

Questions:
  • Am I entitled to CA unemployment benefits?
  • Since my employer initiated the chain of events is it the 'moving party'?
  • Does I agreeing to voluntarily resign, change the moving party status to me?
  • By verbally agreeing to 30-day option, am I legally bound to formally resign?
  • Must a formal voluntary resignation be written with my signature?
  • When applying for CA unemployment benefits, do I select "laid-off" or "Voluntary Resignation"?
  • If I do not formally resign, do I select "laid-off" when applying for benefits?
  • If I formally resign in writing, and continue working up until the agreed February 13 date, would I loose my benefits eligibility?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back