Chances of getting custody of nephew

Status
Not open for further replies.

sister73

I have a nephew who our family feels is being neglected. He is 8 years old. My dad is at there house every day and my nephew also spends many nights with my dad. He has a sister to which I had taken away when she was a baby because of possible abuse. She is now adopted by her own grandmother and calls her mom. All they needed to do to get her back prior to the adoption was for the dad to get his GED and also to get insurance and not sure what else. No attempt of doing this happened. My brother has not had a job but once and it only lasted a month if that. He just got out of prison for serving 5 years for B & E and things have gotten worse. He has anger problem. Him and his wife sleep all the time and my nephew takes care of himself unless my dad is there. Their house is filthy and not healthy for anyone to live in. I had lived in that house about 10 years prior to and it was a nice little house that belongs to my dad. They moved in and have torn it apart and destroyed alot of things. The other day it was very cold out and my brother had told my nephew to go out and play since they were trying to sleep. Then told him to go out side and take care of these cans that were given to him and said it was HIS job to do that. This was in windshields below zero. My brother denied the accusations. Another time they were sleeping and my nephew got his own lunch, an ice cream bar. My nephews electronic game system came up missing and my brother said it was a neighbor who broke in and stole it. I believe my brother sold it as he is always doing give and take with miscellaneous stuff that we feel is shady. My brother had admitted to giving the dog one of his own pills for when he got out of line. There may not be physical abuse, but the things that are being displayed is not a healthy living environment for any child. I used to take care of nephew every other weekend, but last year I moved out of town and do not get to see him as much. They keep him up late running around all over town and then try to do homework at 10 pm. Alot of things have been adding up and I would like to try to get custody of my nephew and not sure where to start. I believe when Children Services was involved before with his sister, that they were going to put her with strangers. I fear that if I called them, they would put him with strangers until everything was gone to court. What is the best way to get the authorities involved and try to go after custody, what are my chances? I do not want my nephew to grow up and get in the wrong crowd and following his dads footsteps.

Does anyone suggest hiring a lawyer first or gong to Children Services first? I am not sure what would be the best interest for the child to stay with family.

Children Services almost always place child with family whenever possible. When you call CPS just make sure they are informed that you would be willing and able to your nephew. Give them all of your contact information. And you will most likely have to go through some sort of orientation classes which normally are not that bad. I would also contact legal aide in your area to see if they could out you intouch with an attorney. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info. I also found out that my nephew was already taken out of the home once before. He placed with strangers in another town and then my dad got him for temporary custody and hes back in the home. He just needs a stable loving environment. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back