Painting myside of a wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharlanc

About 6 months after we bought our house our neighbor put up a wall on the property line in the front yards of our homes. It extends from the pre-existing wall that already divided our property in our back yards. Basically, it was a really bright pink brick that he chose that clashes with our house. He didn't consult with us, he just built it. We decided that we would paint our side of the wall (the part that is right on the property line) white to better match our property. Before we did this we consulted the city and got an okay via phone. Our neighbor got angry and asked us to pay for half of the wall even though we didn't want it in the first place. Can our neighbor sue us for half of the expense. Can anyone verify that we are legal in our painting of the wall? Thanks for your advice.

I don't see any way that your neighbor can make you pay for half of the fence. I'm not sure about whether you had a right to paint the wall or put up a wall to abut his. I hope you got the name of the person you spoke to at the city office. If it were my I'd consider it just a worthless threat and dismiss it. Even if he sues I wouldn't worry about it either.

Sharlanc said:
About 6 months after we bought our house our neighbor put up a wall on the property line in the front yards of our homes. It extends from the pre-existing wall that already divided our property in our back yards. Basically, it was a really bright pink brick that he chose that clashes with our house. He didn't consult with us, he just built it. We decided that we would paint our side of the wall (the part that is right on the property line) white to better match our property. Before we did this we consulted the city and got an okay via phone. Our neighbor got angry and asked us to pay for half of the wall even though we didn't want it in the first place. Can our neighbor sue us for half of the expense. Can anyone verify that we are legal in our painting of the wall? Thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back