Craigslist laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

eelan

My jurisdiction is: California

I purchased a macbook on craigslist from a private seller last week. The macbook posting said the warranty was good until 2010 and "unit is clean...everything works as it should..." When I picked it up the laptop started fine and appeared ok. When I got home and started using it after a couple hours it basically stopped working and now won't even boot up. I took it to the Apple Store and found out this laptop was brought in a few weeks earlier and diagnosed as having liquid damage. That voids any warranty.

I told the seller about this and initially he said he would return my money but now he is ignoring my calls.

I am planning to take him to small claims court. Is a printout of the original craigslist posting and a copy of the Apple diagnosis enough?

Also, the Apple diagnosis says someone else brought it in. I think the seller bought it used from someone else since he has an ebay store for selling computer products. He probably uses craigslist only to dump damaged products.

I am planning to take him to small claims court. Is a printout of the original craigslist posting and a copy of the Apple diagnosis enough?

It's a good start. Also have your receipt showing that you paid the seller $X. It's impossible to know what else you might need until you hear their reply to your claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back