Got Hit by the USPS Postal Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

midookie

My jurisdiction is: California

Hi, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this...I apologize if I am wrong.

Yesterday, as I was minding my own business, waiting for the cars to pass before crossing the street, I got struck by a mail truck (USPS truck) from the side. I flew at least 6-7ft to my left and landed on the concrete on my hands, knees and legs.

The postal worker who hit me was delivering the mail in my apartment building as I walked out the front door. The mail truck was parked right in the front of the building so I stood on the left of the truck (rear end of the truck) and waited for a chance to cross the street. Since the mail truck has the driver side on the right, it's impossible not to notice if someone was standing next to it, especially when you already know you're about to back up and start driving, unless you're paying absolutely no attention.

Not only she was being a horrible driver, she showed no emotional remorse, she didn't even notice that she just hit a person and kept backing up. She finally stopped when she realized people were honking at her to get her attention. I was on the ground kicking the back of the truck as I thought to myself if I couldn't get her attention somehow, she will run me over. When she finally came to a stop, she got of the truck, even though she saw me on the ground not being able to get up from the pain, she asked, "What did I just hit?" I was confused at first since it couldn't be more obvious what she just hit. I yelled, "You hit me!... Don't you see me on the ground? Look at my legs! My hands!" Then she replied, "Oh...but I was going really slow." I felt like I was in the twilight zone or she was speaking another language or something. I couldn't understand what "going slow" had to do anything. The fact was that she hit me hard enough to throw me 6 to 7 ft and the impact was strong enough to injure me.

As I got up off of the concrete street, I was hurt and was half crying from the pain but I was also very angry because of her clueless and dumb-struck attitude and the fact that she didn't even apologize or ask me if I was at least okay. I was also on my way out to get to somewhere so I had to leave in a hurry. So, after throwing some angry words at her, I left the place of the incident.

Of course, I wrote down her truck number, but I didn't think I was seriously injured at that time (just scratches on my legs, knees and hands) so I didn't call the police or report her to USPS about the incident.

One whole day has gone by and now I'm in pain. My legs are bruised and hurt to sit or bend my knees. It's even hard to get up from sitting down. It's affecting my work since it requires me to sit on the floor and get up, up and down, through out the night. So now, I am thinking that I should report the incident and possibly sue the postal worker.

I hope it's not too late to do anything now. What do I need to do? What is the first step? Please give me some advices.

Thanks in advance!

Contact the Post master and file the report w. them-- the # is in the phone book-- and call the cops to file a police report-- I am not sure if you are too late or not? might want to call a attny-- you need to go see a doctor

Thank you, Theresagail! I just filed a report with USPS Office of Inspector General. I read in the California Court Site that whenever it's involved a government entity, I need to file a claim with them first? Okay, so I will have to go to the doctor now. Just one question...It seems like it's very hard to win a case against the USPS...What do you think?
Thank you again for your reply!

Yeah more then likely, it is the government. Call the police and file an accident report--- keep all of your doctor notes, receipts, EVERYTHING-- everytime to talk to anyone about this note it down. And you may want to consult with a accident/ injury attorney.

Definitely consult with an injury attorney. Getting compensation from the Government (especially in CA) is very tricky and sometimes time consuming.

Sue everybody these days... You know if you did ANYTHING wrong, your gonna be the 1st to get sued... You live in America, "the land of the free and the home of the brave"... but 7/10 people have sued someone already...You know if you let this one slide you will be the next person that's being sued by the USPS for damaging their truck... <I hear parts for those Lil trucks are quite expensive these days & They do know your address~ ) If your damages are real, take lots of pics, hire an attorney and start seeing every kinda doctor you could. Someone will find something totally wrong with you... Just be honest- hope that helps-

Since this thread was started over 4 years ago, I assume the situation has been handled by now. We generally do not reply to old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back