Bought car, owner refuses to release title

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiemonster13

Recently i purchased a car,and i was living with the owner at the time(roommate) ,we had a bill of sale written up and signed, but i never took the title(wasn't going to drive the car for a while) Now that i moved out he will not release the title and he found the bill of sale and thrown it away. I have many witnesses that will contest that I bought and payed for the car. What kind of legal action can i take? He does not answer my phone calls, and is trying to sell the car to other people.

will me having (roughly) 6 witnesses hold up then?.. thats the only thing i'm worried about, and most likely he wouldnt show up for court so would it fault to me anyways?

if he is a no show you will get a default judgement -- meaning you could garnish his wages or bank account, this would be the $$ and no title. So you dont have the car? if not then it would be up to the judge if he owuld listen to your witness's or not-- I would bring them on court date. did you pay cash and loose the bill of sale too and not take possesion of the car at anytime?

I was going to pick up the car the day after i moved out, when i showed up he said he was going to call the police if i took it, and when i went in to find the bill of sale, it was missing and he just laughed when i asked about it. And he doesn't have a job so i couldnt garnish anything.

What documentation do you have to prove you bought this vehicle?

You may be SOL! I would @ least try to sue for the $$ you gave him and bring your witness's some judges dont want to hear it though? How much $$ was it?

when i payed for the car we made a bill of sale up, both signed it(there were quite a few people there).. and when i decided to move out he sought out the bill of sale and threw it away(i was working at the time) when i tried to find it and ask him about it, he just laughed and stated that i never payed for it and that the car is his, and if i was to take it he would call the police. I have talked with everyone that was there at the time and they agree that they could sign a document, or even show up if need be to contest that i payed for the car in full and that the owner is just trying to pull a fast one.

Go to court and take your chances.

You do not have a strong case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back