Personal Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

anemmers

Hi,

I hope that I am posting this on the right section. I have a question regarding personal property. I left some personal belongings to a family member in Ohio because I will be going overseas next month. These items are very valuable pieces of arts and artifacts. I worry that when I'm gone someone else in the family might claim these items as theirs. Is there any way that I can make sure that I maintain my status as the rightful owner for these items? I really want to make some kind of legal steps to make sure that no one can claim ownership, but me. Are there legal documents to file for personal property rights? Do I need a lawyer. If anyone could help would be great.

Thanks,
anemmers

Unless I'm missing something, how is this a wills and estates issue?

Did you leave the person this property as a gift, or just for them to keep it safe for you? If you're worried that person is going to claim it, you can make sure that your transfer of possession to them is not construed as a transfer of ownership by getting that person to sign an agreement stating such. It would be worth your while to get a lawyer to draft it.

Any such agreement will not be effective against a third party. But I don't know how a third party could successfully claim they are the owner of something that a) they don't own, and b) isn't in their possession. What conceivable grounds could this person have for claiming the property?

It would be a good idea to get something in writing that the items are not owned by the person keeping them for you, preferably by a lawyer. I made the mistake of leaving items in the care of my grandmother without anything in writing. When she died unexpectedly the items were considered a part of her estate and even with the help of a lawyer I was unable to get them back. Because i had in a letter from her a statement about one of the items being mine i was able to get that item back.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back