Visitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

systembroken

I have been divorced for ten years. My daughters, now 15 and 13, no longer want to continue visitation with their father. He remarried and the new wife is mentally unstable, has a prescription drug problem and drinks alcohol to excess. He opted to drop visitation down from 1/3rd of the year (two years ago) and now sees them just for two dinners a month and insists that his wife come along. The last dinner ended in a screaming match leaving the girls very shaken. Both daughters maintain they do not want to continue visitation until his wife gets help or she is not involved. If they stop visitation do I need to go back to court to change the visitation and do the girls need to have a court gaurdian appointed?

You'll have a hard time stopping visits. Dad is entitled to see the kids. also if you are having a hard time getting him to pay CS and other add ons, by taking away his visits you can be sure he will try to get out of paying you anything. I do not remember what state you are in but if you stop visits, a judge can reduce your child support. GA allows CS to be adjusted to reflected lack of visitation and co-parenting from the CP. Not sure where you are and what the law says on that.

they can decide at 18 not to see dad not before

I have been divorced for ten years. My daughters, now 15 and 13, no longer want to continue visitation with their father. He remarried and the new wife is mentally unstable, has a prescription drug problem and drinks alcohol to excess. He opted to drop visitation down from 1/3rd of the year (two years ago) and now sees them just for two dinners a month and insists that his wife come along. The last dinner ended in a screaming match leaving the girls very shaken. Both daughters maintain they do not want to continue visitation until his wife gets help or she is not involved. If they stop visitation do I need to go back to court to change the visitation and do the girls need to have a court gaurdian appointed?

when your daughters are 18, they can decide not to see dad, but as long as theres a court order, they have no choice, or they could end up living with dad and visting you. you can file to modify visitation, but your daughters dont decide. whatever the court order says goes.

Your daughters are old enough to express to the judge what their wishes are, but it is ultimately up to the judge to grant them or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back