serving an order to show cause

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockettt

After my ex husband (who initiated the divorce and who is the plaintiff) decided not to finalize our divorce, I decided to restore the case to the calendar.

My ex husband figured that since he has to pay for 1/2 the marital debt, (which totals in the thousands) he'll might as well not get a divorce, and just continue living freely with his girlfriend.

Point is that I decided to have the case restored by filling out an order to show cause. (By the way, I'm pro se).

Well, I got the date restord to the calendar, but now I have to serve my ex husband. Problem is that he lives with his girlfriend, and although I have her address, I was wondering if it would be wise to have him served there.

Now, he is represented by an attorney, so I was thinking that I can serve him to her office, however, my fear is that she may say that she is no longer representing him - could she do that? We're still using the same index number, and this is an ongoing case since 2006, actually.

Anyway, the final paragraph of the order to show cause reads like this:

Sufficient cause appearing therefore, let personal service of a copy of this order, the affidavit in support, and all other papers upon which this order is granted, upon the plaintiff to this action and service by federal express upon his attorney, who has appeared in this action, on or before the _ day of january 2009 be deemed good and sufficient. An affidavit or other proof of service shall be presented to this court on the return date directed in the second paragraph of this order.

Okay, so I hate to ask dumb questions, but since I'm pro se I have no other choice. :D Will it be sufficient to just fed ex his attorney - the one that was representing him last year?

Oh, by the way, wanted to say hi to Mike!! Hi Mike!! :)

Last edited:
Tell the server to try both locations--- if the attorney states they are no longer defending them then the server can go to the girlfriends house and serve her or wait till he gets home-- or try to serve him @ work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back