Boss falsely accused me, framed me for poor performance and then fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laborlaws

I was a new employee with high performance record at my previous jobs and equally high expectations at new workplace. For first five months, everything was fine. Then one day, my boss lost temple and wrongly and knowingly blamed/accused me for for doing something which she thought caused the department a financial loss. This accusation email was sent to several staff members. When I verbally, but politely, tried to clarify this with the boss, she told me how dare I asked her that and even threatened my employment.

Being relatively new at the job, I swallowed the humiliation pill and try to work as usual. However, since then, my boss changed completely and made my life miserable by using her whole experience against me. She even orchastrated several crises in the office using some other staff members whom she had hired. All these problems were termed as my problem performance. Feeling so strangled and humiliated, I even offered to negotiate my possible resignation. She told me to meet next week, and when I approached her next week and the following week to meet her but she made new excuses not me meet me. The only next I heard from her was that I was fired for poor performance.

The university where I was working has a full mechanism of dealing such issues but I was never given any opportunity to explain the so called performance problem.

Can a boss wrongly accuse an employee for some financial loss of the company; and then not to deal with it at all fire you by framing other reasons? Isn't there anything illegal of blaming me for something I was not responsible at all and can be easily probed? Thanks for your guidance in advance.

That's going to depend on whether the university's mechanism for dealing with performance issues is guaranteed or optional.

Technically, unless you are in Montana (and in some cases there) you can be legally fired for any reason not specifically prohibited by law. Contrary to what most people appear to think, "wrongful termination" does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do, but that you were fired for a reason that the law prohibits. The law does not prohibit your employer for firing you for mistakes you did not make.

However, IF the employer's policy is written in such a way as to make it contractual that they go through the disciplinary procedure first, you may have a shot. You'll have to discuss it with an employment attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back