Check Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndragon

If you know that a check you received for a product you sold online is part of a scam (the person writes the check for more money than the item cost and asks you to wire the overpayment back to them via western union), is there a government agency you can contact to report the crime?

-Nick

In Canada, you can report it to the Anti-Fraud Call Centre run by the Competition Bureau. In the US, you can report it via www.fraud.org. I've heard mixed reviews of the effectiveness of that venue.

I researched their website and they actually ask you for your ssn and driver's license number when you report a crime! They ask you for information that can be use against you in a fraud scam in order to report a scam?
I couldn't believe it actually.

-Nick

I'm pretty sure it's legit. It's not a government organization, but it reports to various law enforcement bodies. But I agree, that is cause for concern. The concerns I've heard previously are more along the lines that it's just an unnecessary piece of bureaucracy.

I would have to agree.
I had this happen. Someone responded to an ad I have for a home guy asking me to hold on to it while he mails me a check. I was asking $300 for the gym. The check gets here and it is for $2,100. It is even a back fake, the ink was faded, and the signature was printed from a bubble jet... really bad.
Anyway, the check has Wachovia stamped on it so I call them. They confirm it is a fraud and tell me they will be contacting the owner of the account to warn them. I ask them what I should do with the check and the person on the phone stumbles for a minute. I say, should I just take it into the security department for my bank, they say yes.
When I take the obviously fake check with legitimate account information on it to my bank branch, the guy behind the counter doesn't even ask me for my name. No information is exchanged. How do they expect to investigate this crime?
Whoever wrote this check will walk because no agency involved bothered to gather information. This makes me sick!

-Nick

sorry, bad fake, not back fake.
How do you edit posts? haha

-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back