legal rights of unwed parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbeyer2022

my husband and i are rying to figure out if he needs to adopt my daughter or if he can just sign the birth certificate... my daughter was feb.14th of this year but biological father didnt support me during the pregnancy or anything but my now husband was there from the day i found out to current. but i dont know the laws on what we need to do or hw to go about it

If your husband signs the BC knowing he's not the dad, and you know it too, you'll both be committing fraud. Presumed dad could come into the picture later and contest paternity.

The presumed dad didn't have to support you during pregnancy because he was not proven to be the father. If you were married to him he'd be the legal dad.

I don't know the laws where you are, but I think you'll have to file to establish paternity for presumed dad, and if he is dad, ask that he relinquish his rights and allow a step parent adoption.

You'll need an attorney for that.

I assume you were not married to him when you gave birth? If he really wants to take responsibility for a child he knows is not his then good for him. Make sure he treats the baby good.

As far as him signing the birth cert, you will have to google your states laws to see how much time he has to do this. Otherwise if he wants to adopt he can do that but you must terminate the bio dads rights and paternity will lilely have to be established. Your husband needs to know that once he is the legal father for this child, there is no backing out of it. If you divorce he will be paying child support for this child.

OP, depending on your state of residence, if you were married within a given time after the birth of your child, or during your pregnancy, then your husband is the legal father and will not have to adopt. The biological father can still file a paternity petition.

To get correct and accurate advice, please provide the requested information.

Good point, Irish...if they were married when the child was born, maybe he IS the legal dad. I thought of that after I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back