Confused about age of consent laws.. Please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowfyre

I live in Washington state and I'm 17 years old, and will be turning 18 in February. I have a girlfriend who is 15 and will be turning 16 in March. I am 2 years, one month, and 2 days older than she is. Is there any legal problem for me and her to be together?

I obtained this from wikipedia-

The age of consent in Washington is 16.
It is also illegal to engage in sexual acts with someone younger than 18 under three different sets of circumstances, enumerated in RCW 9A.44.096. Foster parents with their foster children; school teachers and school administration employees over their students; The third set of circumstances require all of the following situations occur in tandem: The older person is 60 months or more older than the 16 or 17 year old, the person is in a significant relationship as defined, and such older person abuses the relationship to have sexual contact.

and this from the government's website-

(1) A person is guilty of sexual misconduct with a minor in the second degree when: (a) The person has, or knowingly causes another person under the age of eighteen to have, sexual contact with another person who is at least sixteen years old but less than eighteen years old and not married to the perpetrator, if the perpetrator is at least sixty months older than the victim, is in a significant relationship to the victim, and abuses a supervisory position within that relationship in order to engage in or cause another person under the age of eighteen to engage in sexual contact with the victim; (b) the person is a school employee who has, or knowingly causes another person under the age of eighteen to have, sexual contact with a registered student of the school who is at least sixteen years old and not married to the employee, if the employee is at least sixty months older than the student; or (c) the person is a foster parent who has, or knowingly causes another person under the age of eighteen to have, sexual contact with his or her foster child who is at least sixteen.

(2) Sexual misconduct with a minor in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor.

(3) For the purposes of this section, "school employee" means an employee of a common school defined in RCW 28A.150.020, or a grade kindergarten through twelve employee of a private school under chapter 28A.195 RCW, who is not enrolled as a student of the common school or private school.

Are they saying the same things? Because I can't actually understand what the official statement is saying. Could someone please clarify? Because I can not see where it says that the age of consent in Washington is 16 in the official documents.
Thank you for helping, I would really appreciate it if you could..

What do you mean by, be together? Hang out at the mall? Go to school functions? Kiss and hold hands? Have sex?

I thought it would be kind of obvious, though I suppose that it isn't. She's my girlfriend, which means of course kissing and all of that. We haven't had sex, though when in the heat of passion you never know what could happen. I just want to know because her dad is convinced that the age of consent is 18 and that I can't date anyone under 18 or it's basically rape. Which is why I'd like to know where it says that the age of consent is 16, because it isn't very clear to me. Thanks.

Shes not 16 yet! If you have touched her in any sexual way or sent her sexual texts, emails, pictures. Made sexual calls you in deep trouble! Also if her parents say you cannot see her that trumps age of consent laws! Your best option is to find another 18 year old

Also keep in mind that all the age of consent laws mean is that you probably won't go to jail if you have sex. The age of consent laws do NOT mean that she is free to come and go as she pleases or do what she likes. If her parents say that she cannot go out with you, she can't, EVEN IF she is over the age of consent.

And a jury is not likely to hold dad responsible if he loses his cool and decides to toss you out on your tail end ... head ... shoulder ... nose ... and any other body parts he might choose to make impact with.

You should both keep your pants on. The "heat of the moment" can result in babies and STDs, not to mention the mental issues involved.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back