Being Sued Over Attorney Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelsky

I am wondering if it is legal for my (former) lawyer to sue me for an unpaid bill when someone else was court-ordered to pay it already. Here is the situation:

In October I took an ex-boyfriend to court for violating a DVO. I hired a lawyer and put down a $1000 retainer. My ex was found guilty in family court and, in addition to a jail sentence, was ordered to pay my attorney fees in the amount of $1920 (the total for my bill at that time.)

We went to court one more time, where my attorney charged me an additional $700. So logically, if my ex was to cover the first bill, and the attorney still has my $1000 retainer, I should be getting $300 back. But NO.

Instead, my ex has not paid my attorney fees, which were supposed to be paid directly to my attorney. I have not paid them either, since the court ordered the ex to do so. But my attorney is proceeding to still collect from me because my name is the one they have listed on the account. I recently got a notice from him that he was sending me to a collection agency, and a week later I was served papers saying he had filed a complaint against me in court.

I have 20 days to make a written defense (I'm not hiring another attorney!) and file it with the county clerk. Any resources on the Kentucky state law regarding this matter would be very helpful. He can't sue me if someone else was already court-ordered to pay the bill, can he?

Thank you in advance for any help! :)

He can. Pay your attorney's bill.

The fact that your ex was ordered to pay your costs does not absolve you of responsibility in the event he fails to do so. Your lawyer is still entitled to be paid.

Your ex then owes you the money, and you can take steps to enforce the debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back