Consumer Law, Warranties Legal age to sign a legally binding contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdj204

At what age can a person sign a legally binding contract? I come across a situation where I had to sign some papers, but I'm not sure if they would actually hold up in court as the other person thinks, as I am a minor. Too my knowledge, a parent or guardian would also have to sign it in order for it to be good. Also, If said contract was contract was signed when I was 17, would it magically become legal when I turn 18?

No, You must be 18 in order to sign into a legally binding contract-- If the ocntract was signed by a minor the contract is void

At what age can a person sign a legally binding contract?

Also, If said contract was contract was signed when I was 17, would it magically become legal when I turn 18?

As a general rule, a person must be at least 18 years of age to be capacitated to sign contracts. As already said, the same is void but the minor - you, in this case - has the option to enforce the contract. When you do, the other party whom you contract with and have knowledge that you are a minor cannot raise as a defense that you were incapacipated to enter into contract with him.

No, the contract does not magically become legal, or valid, when you turn 18. Void contract cannot be ratified. Meaning, it cannot be rendered automatically valid upon cessation of the ground which makes it void, in this case, you reaching the majority age.

----------------------------------------------------
THE MESRIANI LAW GROUP: A Professional Law Corporation

As a general rule, a person must be at least 18 years of age to be capacitated to sign contracts. As already said, the same is void but the minor - you, in this case - has the option to enforce the contract. When you do, the other party whom you contract with and have knowledge that you are a minor cannot raise as a defense that you were incapacipated to enter into contract with him.

So, I just want to make sure I got this right.
If I, as a minor, were to engage in a contract with someone, not a minor, and it said "I will kill a man. You will jump off a building." And I were to make him jump, I would then have to kill someone?

Last edited:
No. In that case, the contract could be void for illegality or on grounds of public policy.

Besides which, you're a minor. As mentioned above, the contract is void as against you (although you may have the option to enforce it).

And further besides which, if you made him jump, you may have thereby killed him, fulfilling your end of the bargain, and would not have to kill anyone else. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back