Bio Dad trying to get back in picture after terminating his rights 11 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

MzDD

My jurisdiction is: California

I got married and pregnant very young, 18 years old. I had the baby in 1997 and divorced her father. After my daughter was born the father and I made the decision to give up our daughter for adoption to my parents. My ex and I went our separate ways and I went into the military for 6 years. In November of 2006 I re-adopted my daughter from my parents and they both terminated their parental rights to my child. I have been since 2006 her sole, legal, custodial parent.

Now, after 11 years her bio dad wants to be in her life. At first I was very reluctant, but I wrote him an e-mail saying I'd give him seeing her a chance. That was a huge mistake! I found out that he was a drug user and had been arrested for a DUI. I immediately cut off contact with him and filed a restraining order because of his relentless harassment.

I found out that he has filed a $25,000 civil law suit against me for a , "breech of contract." He is suing me with a civil law suit because of an e-mail I wrote him. My ex terminated his parental rights in 1997, but he believes the e-mail I wrote him stating that he could come back into my daughter's life is a binding contract. He has hired an attorney.

Three days ago my ex went to my daughter's school and tried to pick her up with out my acknowledgment. I immediately called the police when I found out. He was arrested and put in jail for attempted child abduction. A detective called me yesterday and said that my ex stated that we had a binding, legal contract over an e-mail proving that I gave him permission to see my child. Is this going to hold up in court? Can my ex who is obviously delusional and very obsessive be awarded any type of rights to my daughter? I really hope not.

Where the email may not be a contract it is permission. You need to revoke that permission and seek protective order if need be. Since he has terminated his rights he ha sno rights to see her. Make sure schools, childcare etc are all aware of that

I just wanted to add that it is really unusual for you to give up your rights, then have your parents adopt, then you re-adopt. A child should not be passed around like that like a dog. Once rights are terminated, its permament. Since you were able to get yours back after termination, then the Dad can certainly try.

I just wanted to add that it is really unusual for you to give up your rights, then have your parents adopt, then you re-adopt. A child should not be passed around like that like a dog. Once rights are terminated, its permament. Since you were able to get yours back after termination, then the Dad can certainly try.

I agree on all points well said Duraine!:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back