Hit by a unlicensed driver in an uninsured work van!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAVargas

A friend of mine was in a recent car accident. A driver of an uninsured work van changed into his lane and struck his vehicle. At that point the driver admitted that his license was currently suspended and asked if they could leave the police out of the picture. My friend then spoke to the employees boss and he agreed to pay for all of the damages but was currently out of town. They arranged to drop the car off at a local shop and he would take care of it from there. It has now been about 5 days and he contacted the owner who has now decided he is not responsible for the damage. He states the driver should not have been driving the car and it is his responsibility to pay. The driver does not deny his involvement in the accident but cannot afford to pay for the damages all at once. Unfortunately my buddy's car does not have full coverage as it is his project car and is currently fixing it up so therefore his insurance is not going to cover any of the damages. The work van is registered to the owner of the company and not to the company directly but it is used for commercial business?

I'm assuming my friend will have to sue someone but am not sure if he will be going directly after the driver or the owner of the company. Who is technically responsible???? Thanks for your help.

I am not a attorney, please note.

It sounds to me like the owner is responsible because it is a work van and he owns it, lends it out to others and he should have carried insurance out on it. The driver was also on the clock and doing his job, yet his license was suspended.
So, I would think you could sue the boss for not checking up on his employess, and the boss will have to sue his employer to be repaid.
This is just my opinion, as I am not a attorney. You may can get a free consultation with a attorney and find out which steps your friend should be taking. Best of Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back