Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Falsely accused of stealing by Roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugagirl

My jurisdiction is: Athens, Georgia

Summarized story...

Roommate violated copyright infringement laws multiple times on shared internet in apartment (account is under my name). To protect myself and my parents from the possible consequences I cut her off from my internet account.

This seemed to trigger a string of vindictive acts targeted at me.

Most Concerning of which is false accusations of theft.:eek: On Friday, December 5th she moved out but seemed to leave quite a few items in the common areas (Kitchen and Living Room). The bedrooms are private and have bolt locks, and she has never locked her door and often left the door open for over a year. On that same day that she moved out she sent me an email stating that she would be filing a police report against me for stolen items which she listed in the email. Upon getting that email I immediately recognized some of the items as ones I have seen in the common area. I then proceeded to locate the majority of the items either in the kitchen, laundry room, or living room. I left them exactly where they were. I have contacted my roommate informing her that some of those misplaced items are in the common area and if she calls ahead she is welcome to come get them. This call was received with animosity and i was told to leave her alone and I would have to deal with the police.

What should I do? I have never been accused of stealing nor ever had to deal with he police (except one speeding ticket). I am trying to take finals and am very distressed about this whole matter. Will the police really search my apartment over items like a hair dryer, tea kettle, pj pants, scissors, etc? Can i be charged with theft if the items are in the common area? If you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated!:(

Police may show up, it's there call. The best advice is that you contact the police and tell them the situation. Set up an appointment, make copies of the e-mails sent to you, and keep a record of when you talk with your ex-roommate. She may be trying to cause you anxiety in retribution for your cutting her off of the internet, but you can never be too careful. Contact the police immediately. If you are in a dorm, contact your RA and whoever is in charge there. . .

Update

Dec. 8 - I met with the officer and he informed me that he would in fact be coming out to investigate her claims of theft.

When he arrived, the officer and I located 90% of her listed missing items and many items that were not listed, in the common space and left behind in her room. When the ex-roommate showed up he informed her that the majority of her items had be easily located in the apartment and he had no reason to believe that I or anyone else had stolen her items. She insisted that I hid her items, so i offered to allow her to look through my room. She did and found nothing. The officer had to pull my ex-roommate away from me because she continually tried to yell at me and get in my face. I said nothing and kept my distance. Twice he removed her from the apartment to calm her down. He gave us both a card with the case number on it and said he had no reason to believe there was any theft but that she could go down to the station and pursue the matter of the items still not located. He then confirmed with my ex-roommate that she was done searching the apartment and had 100% of her items removed and that she would not need to return for any reason and would not need to contact me. She confirmed that she would not need to return to the apartment and would not contact me. Since she was completely done I contacted my apartment manager and requested the front door lock be changed by the end of the next business day. (She was fully informed of the general situation by myself and, i assume, my ex-roommate). She confirmed she would have this done.

Dec. 9 - I call the apartment manager to schedule a time to replace the lock so I can be sure to be present. Manager informs me that they will not replace the locks for one week....:confused:. My ex-roommate had called her yesterday stating she still had items in the apartment but did not have time to get them until next monday..... So the manager has decided to allow her access until then.

The officer did not even trust my ex-roommate alone in the apartment nor around me. My manager has ingored my pleas and reasoning and stood firm that my ex-roommate will be allowed in my apartment 24/7 until Dec. 16...

I'm concerned for the safety of my belongings, my pets, and myself and feel like I am being intentionally harassed by her. Advice?

Thank you in advance.

I'd contact your apartment manager, and inform them that since they are so lax, I'd change the doorknob lock myself. It will cost at most $40. . . I would change the locks immediately.

Good luck to you. I've had similar experience with a psycho room-mate. . . I probably shouldn't tell you this, but what solved my problems was when I punched him flat in the nose . . .

Unfortunately, in my lease contact I am not allowed to change or add any locks. According to the contract, if I do change a lock and the staff can not get in when needed (they never call ahead or schedule maintenance - just come in whenever they please), they can break windows or whatever it takes to get in and charge me for all related damages...

The thought to put her in her place has of course crossed my mind :cussing: but would rather not get myself in any trouble.

At this point i am attempting to finding a way to set up a security camera and just hope everything will be okay. Because my apartment complex certainly is not going to help me in any way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back