credit card collection lawsuit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

banderson1977

my wife opened a credit card in aug 2001 and stopped paying on it in july 2005. we were not married till jan 2006. the balance on the card is a little over $900. we dont have the money to pay for it or a lawyer because my wife has to stay at home with our 3 children under the age of 3. we only have my one income. now this company is filing a lawsuit against her. she received the notice on the 24th of nov 2008. she has 30 days to respond. QUESTION:

1. what does the letter need to say?
2. am i, the husband, liable for this debt since my wife doesnt work? (we do have a joint bank account)
3. what are our options?

your fast and accurate answers are greatly appreciated.

thank you
BA

I'm not sure what kind of help you are seeking. A lawyer isn't going to be able to make a debt vanish. If you can pay off some of it, that is what they are seeking. By now you may have heard from them and they may have gone ahead with a small claims lawsuit. After obtaining a judgment they may wish to seize her assets. Your options are trying to find a way to pay off this debt, or at least pay off a portion and hopefully they will accept what they can get.

You better get a account in your own name to pay the bills with until this is resolved they will garnish that account if they know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back