Roomate terminating 1 year lease early, but roomate will not

Status
Not open for further replies.

msayler

Looking for legal advice in regards to terminating a 1 year lease early. The lease is up next March. I do know that there could be some stiff legal action taken against me for terminating a lease early. Here is where it gets dicey:
I am on the lease, jointly, with my girlfriend. We are in the middle of breaking up. She lost her job and is looking for work, but will not entertain the idea of moving out until the lease is done. She cannot financially pull that off. The reason for me leaving is because the relationship is rather violent. She has been arrested twice for domestic abuse against me. I have two kids from a prevoius marriage and I will not allow them, nor will their mother, to be around this person ever again. What i have been doing for the past 3 months is when I have my kids, I stay at hotels and/or friends houses. I cannot keep up with that financially anymore.
My ex-wife about to get a restraining order on this person, simply due to this fact. I Is there anything I can do legally, to get out of this enviroment? Could a restraining order be a case for terminating a lease early on my end?

Have you talked to the landlord? I would move out and your girlfriend legally must look for a new roommate and she must make an attempt to mitigate your damages. I doubt your ex is going to be able to get an RO against the kids since she has not done anything to them. But you really need to talk to the landlord and let him know tghat it is not saef for you to stay there and you cannot see your kids and see what he says. If your Gf refuses to break the lease, she can stay there but she must look for another roommate. Maybe you can have the landlord talk to her and exlain her options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back