Hiring Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou_g

On November 11, 2008 I accepted a position with a company in New Jersey.
The offer was made in writing and accepted in writing on November 13, 2008.
The start date indicated on the letter was December 1, 2008 and agreed upon by me. On November 26, 2008 I received a letter from the company stating that due to circumstances beyond their control, they are recinding the offer. This is one working day prior to my start date. My previous company closed their doors on October 31, 2008 so I did not quit a lob to accept this one, but I did turn down another position and two other interviews thinking that I had a job. Also one of the questions asked of me during the hiring process was that at my age how many years do I plan to work. I know NJ is an at will state but do I have any rights against this company.

Circumstances beyond their control could mean:

1.) A loss of funding resulting in a hiring freeze and/or layoffs

2.) The company or branch closing

3.) A newly announced merger (note - it would not have to have been publically announced for this to be true) which results in there being more employees and fewer jobs

4.) A newly announced departmental or regional reorganization

5.) Any number of other factors unrelated to your age.

In the current economy many employers are having to make hard decisions to keep alive and to offer some protections to their existing employees. I know it's disappointing but it's not clear by any stretch of the imagination that there was any illegal factor involved. If they were going to illegally discriminate because of your age why did they make the job offer in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back