Student Loan Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdarms76

My jurisdiction is: Florida

This might be a long post, just to warn you in advance, but I want to be sure I get the best answer.

In February of this year I took out a student loan through American Education Services in the amount of 20,000.00. Through this loan, I wouldn't have to pay it back until I received my Bachelors degree, which is still 2 years away. Starting in May, the loan institution has tried to force me to pay it back by saying I have already graduated, which was a mistake issued by the school to the National Student Clearinghouse. I have called and spoken with all of the parties concerned (the school, the clearinghouse, AES) and have made the necessary corrections to the files that incorrectly stated I falsely graduated.

However, AES is still trying to make me pay this loan back, even though I have sent them every form they have asked for several times, and even have copies of the letter of enrollment verification they asked for to prove I had not graduated yet. These people are extremely rude whenever I call and try to get an answer as to how to fix this problem. I don't know what to do and they have passed my loan over to collections now which is ruining both my and my cosigners credit. Is there any way I can make them fix this mistake?

Also, what kind of attorney would I need for this case? I'm thinking I will need someone to represent me since they are not listening to me.

Last edited:
Don't know why no one has responded to you yet. Though I'm not an attorney I'll give you one Floridian to another Floridian my advise. Make one last attempt to contact AES. Try to speak with someone of the highest level of authority. Explain your situation. Follow-up with a letter to this individual describing your delimma and include copies of all documents that backup your claim. Demand an immediate resolution to this problem. Your letter must be clear and easily read. Use a numbering system to identify documents that you refer to in your letter so they may be easily matched back to the documents. The person reading the letter needs to easily locate any documents you are referring to. Send a copy of this letter to the President of the AES. Send it certified mail. After two weeks should they not contact you first, call the person you spoke with and inquire as to the status. Be polite yet firm. It sounds like you are a victim of a clerical error that no one wants to admit to. If you have success this far, then you can intruct them to insure that any damage to your credit should be their problem to resolve. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back