how to revoke guardianship

Status
Not open for further replies.

flightman100

my wife's mother has temp custody over one of her daughters because when the child was born my wife did not have insurance and I was not married to her at the time.

now that we are married we are ready to settle down and take the child back but her mom (and her rude, abusive father who is a police officer) won't let us take her. we will now have to let the probate court serve her mother the papers to revoke the guardianship. I know for a fact her mother will fight it because thats my wife's father wants.

I am a registered nurse and I make good money and can provide for the child. my wife's parents are poor and they can't even provide for their grandchild. my wife and I are constantly contributing to the childs welfare (its not like we wouldn't anyway out of love but her parents can't afford it). should I go ahead and have my wife seek legal counsel? if my wife and I can prove we are fit financially, mentally, physically, etc to care for her daughter then will we win? thanks for any help.

How long have your inlaws had the child? Has mom remained in the child's life - visited, had her over to spend the night, etc.? Do you visit them as a family? How is a family supported by a police officer "poor" when a family supported by a nurse is "fit financially"?

Is it actually custody that the inlaws have, or merely temporary guardianship? You use both terms, but they mean different things. Why do you refer to whatever it is as belonging to the mother of your wife, did the papers not include your wife's father?

Courts tend to favor able biological parents in custody matters. My understanding is that temporary guardianship is over when the parent says its over. Consult with an attorney to be sure.

my step mother has guardianship of my 8 yr old son. I gave her guardianship because i didnt have a job and I was on drugs. She wasnt suppose to leave the state with him and it was suppose to be temporary until i got my life together. Ive been sober for a year now and have a stable job and home. She left the state with him without my permission and has not allowed me to see him for almost two years.... I do talk to him on the phone but that is all. I need help I just found out that now my step mother is the one on drugs...please what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back