Bank deposited money in incorrect account, they say it cannot be reversed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacassid1

My jurisdiction is: Texas

Recently I made an online transfer between my Bank of America account to my Compass Bank checking account in the amount of $500. Shortly after I go to check my Compass checking account after I received an NSF charge in the mail.

Compass Bank put the $500 into my overdraft account, which also has the same account number. This has NEVER happened, in all of my money transfers I have ever done it has to be deposited into the checking account first. Because of the bank's mistake I was left with ZERO dollars in my checking account but $500 in my overdraft account.

As I said before, I noticed the error after I overdrafted my account. I called customer service last week and was told it was "strange that the $500 never hit my checking account, that it was immediately put into my OD account." The customer service rep asked if I had made the deposit in person at a specific location, which I replied I never went to that one nor would any evidence show I had been at that location. Later I received a call back from the rep saying that it appeared whoever completed the online transfer forms checked the wrong box. He said he would call me back the next day.

Never received a call back, so I called again, spoke to a new rep who escalated it. Long story short, they are saying they cannot refund me the full $500 since I have used some of it up. I asked why they couldn't just transfer the remaining $200 that was wrongfully put there into my checking account, to which they replied, "we cannot do that." They did refund 3 of my overdraft fees but said they would not be able to refund anymore. So basically I now have to pay $12.50 fees every time I want access to MY MONEY. This just does not seem right. I have bills due that I can either be late on, or pay a fee to use my own money.

What am I missing here? If you have overdraft protection why the NSF charge? Also, your overdraft account should be $500 richer and thus upon drafting your checking account the monies should pull from the OD account which is YOUR money and not bank credit. In lieu of talking this over on the phone, can you go to the bank in person to clarify what is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back