revoking guardianship from my mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

flightman100

My question involves guardianship in the State of: georgia

To all those that can help here is my story.

I have two daughters. I have custody over one, lets call her amy 6yrs and my mother has
temp guardianship over the oldest one, lets call her mary, 8 yrs.

When mary was born I didn't have health insurance so my mother opted to take
temporary guardianship to protect her and give her the health insurance that I could not give her.
I was in high school, age 17 when I got pregant and when I was 18 I had a job, but had not qualified for insurance.

Now mind you I have always lived at home until now, as I married a wonderful man, I will call him ted,
in aug of 2006. He is a medical professional and is the best at what he does.

Here is the problem. My mother will not give up my oldest daughter. What I
am trying to say is that she will not agree to terminate the temporary guardianship.
My father is an abusive police officer and we have never got along. I have made some bad choices in my
life and because of this he dictates to my mother all the decisions she should make regarding my daughter. My mother and father won't even let me take Mary (actually Amy and Mary even though I have custody over amy) to the store, to Teds parents who live two hours away, shopping, out to eat, etc. They say I am not ready to be on my own as their mother and as far as Ted is concerned, they also think he is not ready. My father knows some stuff about ted's past that has nothing to do of weather or not he is competent to take care of my daughters. My father tries to use that against Ted and he also defames Teds name to my girls because they have made comments to me about Ted being on drugs. My daughters have also made comments that suggest that my father does not like Ted and they will have nothing to do with him. The emotional stress has begun to take its toll and there are times when I just feel like I can't fight anymore because its usless.

I have recently been charged with shoplifiting and I am seeing a psychiatrist. The void
in my life (my father) has caused me a tremendous amount of pain and suffering as I know he has never
loved me even though he says he does. I was never like my brother who is the golden child of the family. Instead, I was the outcast and deep down he saw me as worthless. When I got pregnant out of wedlock, he basically disowned me but allowed me to stay at home becasue I had no where else to go(the baby's father was just a sperm doner). I wanted to get back at my father by stealing. It made me feel powerful and it filled that gap, that void and feeling like I never have a father. Even now he never even talks to me and goes through my mother when he wants to communicate with me. In reality though, the shopliftnig hurt me and it definitly made my father hate me even more as he knows now he can't trust me and now he will do everything he can to see to it that Ted and I never get the girls.

you see where this is going. as I mentioned before my father has nothing to do with the
guardainship becuase it is just my mother listed on the paper, but he will use his police power (intimitdation,
anger, assertivenes)as he makes all the decisions for my mother. In reality she is stuck in the middle. If my
father weren't here, I know she would let me have my daughter(s) back.

My parents are poor. Ted has a good job as a travel nurse and we want to settle down in a state far
away from my parents. Ted is so mad he wants to go to court and fight this all the way with me until I get my
children. I don't want to put my girls through this but I have a feeling when I submit the revoke of guardianship
to my mother all hell is going to break loose. My father has made threats to Ted of which Ted is going to use
against him in court. and although ted cannot prove it, I will testify against my own father to prove Ted is right.

What is going to happen? the probate court says that if my mother chooses to reject the revoke for temp.
guardianship then the case goes to the probate judge. I don't want some judge who has no idea what is going on
and also has no idea about Ted and I and the hassle my parents have put me through making a decison about the
livelihood of my children.

Do you think that if my psych MD can prove that this was a temp psych disorder caused my the emotional
trauma my father has put me through and all the controlling that has gone on over the years by both parents
that the judge will award me custody? And as far as ted is concerned, he has no criminal history. There is nothing
my father can say or prove about him that would concern the judge as to weather or not he can take care of a 6 and
8 year old. Ted has already compiled a list of character witnesses both on paper and on video that award his good
name in case my father decides to start rating about a piece of teds personal history that, once again, has no
reflection on the person he is or his capability of taking care of two children.

Please help. I welcome any nonjudgemental advice as to what is going to happen in this case.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

As far as I'm concerned, your shoplifting should have nothing to do with getting your daughter back. As long as you have a stable home and job, food and clothing for her, and she is in a safe environment you should have no trouble getting her back. I am not a lawyer but I am feeling what you are going through because my mother is refusing to give me my girls back as well. I wish you the best of luck on getting your daughter back!!!! Keep your heard up and think positive!!!!

Frankly, I'd lay low on the psychological nonsense that you were "forced" to shoplift because dad doesn't love you. Believe me, a judge will see through that rather desperate attempt to justify bad behavior in a heartbeat.

What you need to focus on is the financial and emotional stability that you two can provide for your children.

Gail

You need to see an attorney. A court may be reluctant to remove the child from the only home she has ever known. The story abou why you shoplifted is BS and that certainly will not help you. Ted is not the father of this child nor does he really have any bond with the child so not sure how much he will come into play. Where is the father of these kids? At the minimum you should be tying to get visits with the child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back