Water Bill Issues Due To Leak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillingsworth

My roommates and i recentley had a water leak at our house. When we first moved in our water pressure was terrible, but we assumed it was just an old house and payed our water bills. Then we got our latest water bill which was HUGE! Three times the amount we were normally paying. So the water company came out and told us the leak was on our side of the property. We then called our property management company and told them to fix it. Well after much waiting and many ignored messages/calls they finally fixed it and now they are saying that it's our responsibility to pay the bill even though our lease says that it's their responsibility to maintain all the plumbing. i'm going to write them saying that we will pay for our normal usage of the bill and requesting them to pay the rest. The best part is our water got cut off while are trying to figure this out. I am on the right track here? I feel that it is definitley their responsibility pay for majority of this bill, but they say otherwise.

Then property management should be responsible for the extra amount.

Generally, if the high bill is due to tenant neglect (for example, you heard the toilet running and did nothing about this/never contacted management) then you would owe for this.

However; in this case, you played no role in causing the leaking pipe under the sidewalk.

Gail

That's what I figured, the guy is being stubborn, but i think he knows he's in the wrong.
Thanks for your advice Gail, it was much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back