I was wanting to know what would be a good settlement to except?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan1984

I have a workers' comp. claim with my work. I lost my first joint on my middle right hand finger. In a machine at work. I'm getting ready to go to court over it, and was wanting to know what would be a good estimate to take, or if I should hirer a lawyer and fight it. I was off work for 1 wk. because of meds. they had me on for pain. What should I except?
Thank You for your help.
Please email me back.

Hire an attorney who specializes in workers' comp law. In NY state, you could get a 'scheduled loss of use' (SLU) or you could get a waiver settlement we in NY call a §32.

In NY, SLU cases have a specific range of awards, based on body part and degree of loss of function or amputation. §32's are wide open in terms of the issues which they can settle but the dollar range is often close to an SLU. Also, an SLU would allow you access to future medical care paid for by the comp carrier whereas a waiver settlement may not.

The fees that the lawyer would get, while not set in most states by law, range for 5% to 15% of the award.

There are too many issues that are not clear. You do need an attorney.

FYI: I am not an attorney, just someone made rulings in over 40,000 workers' comp claim decisions in 12 years.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back