Is it worth my time to try to get a lawyer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b2k14gc

I started working at a local 7-11 3 months ago. The last couple of weeks working there my hours were reduced because a fellow coworker reminded them i wasn't 21 yet and should not be alone to sell alcohol. I was unaware of the this and my hours were reduced. Well then they decided to take me off the schedule without telling me and then giving me my final check. It was not tell a week later than when i tried to file for unemployment that i was informed that i was discharged for selling tobacco to a minor. Which was an incident that happened 1-2 months before then. I was told the day it happened and after that, that i would not be fired for it. My friends tell me to get a lawyer, but i am broke and am not sure if it is worth my time. So after all this is there anything i can do?

I have been terminated for complete bs before but this time i feel it was just wrong. I am 20 years old and live in utah. The 7-11 is a local franchise. anything else you need to know?

thank you

well i had worked so hard for them, and i was the only reliable person they had and when i was told i was not gonna be fired for my incident i believed that. My work knew that i was 20 years old but still left me alone many times not telling me not to sell alcohol or what i should do, so under the pressure i sold alcohol. pressure from work and of course as to not upset customers. Once my work had someone else to do that work i was lowered hours and then discharged for that whole incident. The whole thing seems wrong to me. I don't really know if any of this was illegal, i definitely feel it was borderline if it wasnt. I feel used in every way possible, and now completely screwed. It's not so much that i need them or to get back at them, I just got denied unemployment and have appealed it. I don't see how this is right.

I understand they can fire anyone for any reason and any time. That is not the problem. They used me to break the law which they were aware of and i was not. Then later used my incident to cover their tracks. Also I was on the schedule and was taken off of it during mid week. If they were gonna fire me for something a month prior then why do it out of nowhere. Its all just very peculiar.

Do you see anything wrong here? cause thats why i am here i am not 100% knowledgeable of the law. Thank you again.

Gotta agree. There is no law that says, if they haven't fired you by x days/weeks after the incident they are forever barred from doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back