Used Vehicle Purchased 3 months ago from car dealer Engine seized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblackmond08

3 months ago I purchased a vehicle 2001 dodge intrepid from a used car dealer for $7000 with a 60 day warranty or 2000 miles. I financed the car for 4000 with a down payment of 3000. But initially I only came with $2000 in cash because I was told first that my loan was going to be 6000 until I went to buy the car on that day in July and the dealer made an agreement with me to pay him back the $1000 over a 2 month period. In the first month of owning the car the vehicle's engine light came on and I returned to the dealer and left my car over night with the dealer's mechanic and picked it up on a Saturday afternoon. They told me it was just the gas cap. I took the car to a mechanic to have all its fluids check and an oil change. The mechanic recommended my Alternator/AC belt to be changed for $210. I went back to the car dealer and told him this and he offered to do it for a $100. Afterwards, the engine light came on 2 more times. I went to auto zone and they said it was the gas cap also. I bought a new gas cap the 2nd time and the 3rd time the guy at auto zone told me it could be the gas attendants not closing it properly and if it came back on to come back to him. The car was in the need of new tires but at the time I could not afford them.One of the tires was extremely bad that I had no choice but to get it changed. This car has been a financial hardship because one the car dealer had said the initial loan was minimized and I had to pay him and the bank with an interest of 24% it made things difficult to maintain. On October 29 the car had shut off while I was at a green light on a highway. It only started long enough to pull in to a gas station that had a mechanic there. The mechanic said that these cars are horrible with engines. He said it could be my timing belt and water pump and would only charge $650 to fix it. The following day he tells me it was the engine. I need to replace it. I call up the car dealer and he tells me he'd be willing to pay half of a $2500 rebuilt engine. I did some homework and these engines are horrible all together and the car was not work more than $5300. He then changed the story and told me to ask for more money from the bank. I decided to let them repossessed my car but the bank is wanting to sue me for what ever they can't sell the car for. Would I be able to make a small claim from the car dealer for $3000 to pay the bank loan? Do I stand a chance in winning the case?

Used cars are sold As Is-- the dealer has no obligation to you-- I doubt you would get any where -- the research you did after you bought the car-- you should have done before you bought it--

You probably have little recourse. Unless you are in NY, most states do not have a used car lemon law.

Not really Duraine. The Six states with a Used Car Lemon Law are Hawaii,
Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. Then, there are states with minimum statutory standards for used vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back