large amount of check

Status
Not open for further replies.

meltyord

Hello,
I have given a check by my ex boyfriend. The reason he gave it to me is for the furniture I bought for 5600 USD (I have the document showing that) and the jewelry his cleaning lady stole (he claims so which I recorded during our phone conversations) and also I took care of his kids when he was travelling. Although it is signed on my name, the amount and date are open. I do not know the rules so I am afraid to go ahead and cash it (most probably it will be bounced). I do not know what to do? I do not want to deal with bounced check issues since I have no clue what happens?
He works for IBM and the bank is IBM Federal Credit Union. The amount of money I will cash is 15000 USD . Could you please help me to have this money as soon as possible without headache.
Thank you very much.

Where I come from, a cheque properly made out but with no name on it is considered to be a "bearer cheque" and is payable to the person presenting it. It wouldn't hurt to phone the bank to see if they would accept it.

go to his bank and have it cashed there-- if the funds are not available, they will tell you right then.

This will prevent you from depositing this into your account and having to "wait" to see if it comes back or not.

Also, if the check is a fraudulent check, you will be told (if you cash it at his bank) that it is not a valid check. Play it safe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back