Child Custody : Called to Testify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishhope81

I was just recently engaged to a woman who has a child from another man. The two of them have been at odds over custody for months and the father has started to make arrangements to file for custody. Right now, he only has the child on weekends, but would like to have the child a majority of the week or more. Upon the breakup of me and this woman, who now lives alone, but was living at her mom's...the father emailed me and was asking me all kinds of questions regarding her behavior, how much she would go out and leave the child in the care of her grandmother, drug use, drinking habits, etc..

I answered his questions in an honest manner, stating that I thought she was slightly unstable mentally and on occasion would leave the child at home with the grandmother in order to enjoy a night out with friends. I also mentioned that she would occasionally take her grandmother's xanax for her migrains, even though they were not prescribed to her.

Is what I said basis for the father to call me in as a character witness at a custody hearing? Can the mother file slander charges against me? The cmmunication between me and the father of the child was via email.

well now that you have answered him it is possible you can get subpoened now. It would be hard to sue you for slander because she cannotsue you for having an opinion.

I actually see nothing wrong with leaving the child with grandma once in a while so she can go out. Moms need a night out once in while. He also will not be able to prove she takes Xanax unprescribed on occasion. Nnothing you have posted is grounds for him to get custody so honestly you should have stayed out of it unless she is abusive or neglectful to the child and I do not see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back