Student Loan Collectors!!! are trying to garnish my wages!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMacP

In the fall of 2004, I was living with my mother in Birmingham and decided to go to school at ITT. She helped me fill out four federal student loans and two private loans. Honestly, I didn't pay much attention, I just wanted to go to school. I should have noticed all I was signing. I have recently gotten the federal loans taken care of, to where I can go back to school. Now the private loans are hounding me about the other loans saying that they are going to take it to a court and get my wages garnished. I was in school a total of maybe two-three months and I never saw a dime of those student loans, I withdrew because my then girlfriend now wife's house had caught fire on Thanksgiving 2004 and that was about the end of my schooling experience. I stayed and helped her, who would've made a different choice. Anyway, I'm not one to argue about paying something I owe, but really, for two months and money I didn't see, am I really obligated to pay that back. My wife recieved her student loan on a card, all of it, so does that mean that ITT still has mine or did I pay for someone's payraise. I need help figuring this out. My family relies on the whole two-fifty a week to survive. We have bills to pay. We are a very low income family, and I can't afford for them to take what little I do make. Please help. Randy :confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the fall of 2004, I was living with my mother in Birmingham and decided to go to school at ITT. She helped me fill out four federal student loans and two private loans. Honestly, I didn't pay much attention, I just wanted to go to school. I should have noticed all I was signing. I have recently gotten the federal loans taken care of, to where I can go back to school. Now the private loans are hounding me about the other loans saying that they are going to take it to a court and get my wages garnished. I was in school a total of maybe two-three months and I never saw a dime of those student loans, I withdrew because my then girlfriend now wife's house had caught fire on Thanksgiving 2004 and that was about the end of my schooling experience. I stayed and helped her, who would've made a different choice. Anyway, I'm not one to argue about paying something I owe, but really, for two months and money I didn't see, am I really obligated to pay that back. My wife recieved her student loan on a card, all of it, so does that mean that ITT still has mine or did I pay for someone's payraise. I need help figuring this out. My family relies on the whole two-fifty a week to survive. We have bills to pay. We are a very low income family, and I can't afford for them to take what little I do make. Please help. Randy

If you received these private loans (and they likely would have gone directly to pay for tuition, etc.) then you certainly owe for them.

Were they approved and did you receive them (even if they went directly to the school for tuition)? Have you been receiving previous notification in regards to these loans?

Please understand that the institution who loaned you this money doesn't particularly care that you dropped out of school early, that your girlfriends house caught on fire, etc. etc..

It would appear that you have ignored any previous notification from them regarding paying back these loans and they are now taking the legal step to get this money from you.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back