Sue for my split of child support received

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS001

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to sue for child support owed to me by my mother. The situation is this:

My mother left me with my grandparents when I was 11 years old, they were never given legal custody, however the took care of me until I was 18 years old. I have 1 sibling, a younger sister, after 1 year with my grandparents my mother wanted her back, I however remained with my grandparents until I came to be 18 years old. In all that time I had only seen my mother once for a period of one week. Apart from that I have had no contact with her, nor does she attempt to contact me.

My father, whom I do have contact with regularly, has recently informed me following a court decision, that he has been paying my mother child support for both myself and my younger sister for a very long time now. Recently she sued him for further back support and was awarded an additional $37,000 of which she claims all of it.

I have been told in the past that my mother has be receiving support for me, but until recently my father was never very clear on this issue. I am now a 26 year old man with the express knowledge that my wholly absent mother has been accepting and even suing for support payments for her "alleged" custody of me.

This has really bothered me as when my grandparents were raising me, they often had to work extra jobs just to take care of me, and in all this time my mother has been accepting large sums of my money from my father. I would think all that she had taken over the past 15 years should at least in some small way go to me, however nothing ever has.

I am currently a University student hoping myself to pursue a J.D. in the near future (corporate law/securities). I am not sure what legal statutes exist in this matter, but considering my very hard working father has to further pay more to my absentee mother for support she has been happy to claim, yet never provide... I would like to claim what should be mine.

My mother is currently living in the state of Ohio, my father has told me she is married and has several other children with another man. No doubt my fathers earnings are taking care of another man's children instead of his own.

I would really like to sue for what I believe I deserve is mine, however I truly don't even know where to begin. I would appreciate any advice given.

Why didnt your dad appeal the judgement of child support? If you did not live with your mother then if your dad can prove you did not reside with nom he could have had child support waived, or filed for custody of you. He needs to talk to an attorney. Child support though is not owed to you, it is owed to your mother ans if she had legal custody of you, then she could be entitled to the support. Your grandparent should have filed for custody and asked for support. Your dad needs to talk to an attorney to see about how he gets this fixed. Also if your mom was on any sort of state aid, your dad is stuck unless he can prove tyour mother fraudulently collected welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back